World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Computers and The Internet (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Imternet Service Providers (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=2589)

john crossley 27-07-07 21:20

Imternet Service Providers

Which ISP's do people use or recommend. I use Orange which at the moment is probably the worst ISP there is. Having said that I don’t encounter too many problems, unless I leave my PC for twenty minutes in which case the connection drops – even though I disabled auto-disconnect. Then it takes 5-6attempts to re-connect.

Fast.co.uk seems to be the best performer. Any thoughts on this!!

See link below for ISP ratings.

dslzoneuk.net

Canis Vulpes 27-07-07 21:26

I have been using a cable modem from NTL, now Virgin Media for the last eight years with hardly any problems. Its fast, reliable and I cannot ask anything more!

Mick 27-07-07 21:55

I'm with Orange and have been with them since it was Freeserve, I have found them to be fairly reliable specially the broad band with Livebox router, hardly ever get disconnected and when I do it's only usually for a minute or so.

Mick

Chris 27-07-07 22:25

I use Eclipse, which I see is also near the bottom. The only complaint is that they have periods when web-mail is inaccessible occasionally, presumably during upgrades. But spam now virtually non-existent, pre-filtered by them. Not an advert in site anywhere.:)

If anyone knows a service that is cheaper (after expiry of intros) than £15/month inc VAT, do tell. The support is in Exeter, where spoken English is quite good and reply to e-mail support tickets within a day or so. Speed is dependent on our lines, about 5 miles from the exchange and shared.

Also unlimited landline phone calls for £6/month.

Probably not as good as cable systems, but will get seriously worried if they start digging trenches up here.:eek:

Stewart J. 28-07-07 00:18

This maybe of help

http://www.uswitch.com/Broadband/Index.aspx

Stewart :)

Roy C 28-07-07 08:54

I have been with Freedom to Surf (F2s) for four years and could count the outages on one hand - very reliable. upgraded from 2mb to ADSL Max for a one off payment of £5 (monthly payment was the same). I now get around 4.5 mb down and 448 kb up.

yelvertoft 28-07-07 09:23

As with Stephen, I'm with Virgin Media, have been for about 7-8 years. Not the cheapest, but the only time I've had an outage in all this period was when Anglian Water dug up the cable outside. It's just 'there', works all the time.

Duncan

greypoint 28-07-07 09:34

After an original spell with AOL [because we have it at work] I swapped to Virgin a couple of years ago. Only real problem was being without broadband from the middle of December to the beginning of January this year -after 5 phone calls and promises which did'nt come to anything it returned the day after I filled in an on line satisfaction survey [using the pay as you go dial up option]. The promised refund never came. Other than that it's been pretty good. When I moved home I lost my BT low user phone line which, considering I make very few phone calls, made the quarterly phone bill plus 17.99 to Virgin a bit expensive. I'm just waiting to switch to Tiscali [cue lots of people telling me they're rubbish!] - 14.99 per month including line rental - only 2mb but I don't go in for downloading etc. so that's not a problem.

yelvertoft 28-07-07 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by greypoint (Post 22313)
After an original spell with AOL [because we have it at work] I swapped to Virgin a couple of years ago. Only real problem was being without broadband from the middle of December to the beginning of January this year -after 5 phone calls and promises which did'nt come to anything it returned the day after I filled in an on line satisfaction survey [using the pay as you go dial up option]. The promised refund never came. Other than that it's been pretty good. When I moved home I lost my BT low user phone line which, considering I make very few phone calls, made the quarterly phone bill plus 17.99 to Virgin a bit expensive. I'm just waiting to switch to Tiscali [cue lots of people telling me they're rubbish!] - 14.99 per month including line rental - only 2mb but I don't go in for downloading etc. so that's not a problem.

Sue,

If you ring VM up and nag them to say you're not happy with what you're paying, the service they are providing doesn't fit your usage...... moan, moan, etc., they will give you a discount. They are quite flexible with this. It's quite easy to get £10/month knocked off for having a bit of a nag at them.

Duncan

Stewart J. 28-07-07 11:06

I've been with UKOnline for last 8 years firstly on dial up and broadband for last 3 years once it became available in village.

Have suffered very few outages, service is outstanding and cannot be faulted, e-mails or telephone enquiries answered quickly and accurately, no adverts, well pleased.

Stewart