World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   The Digital Darkroom (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Gimp GNU image manipulating program (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=83)

Mick 14-12-05 22:36

The Gimp GNU image manipulating program

Any one else using the Gimp and like me finding it a very steep learning curve?

Mick

LSB 15-12-05 21:29

Same here Mick.
I'm still getting used to using Gimp, but I do find it a good program. Much better than other ones I was using (wont name them..lol)

Snowyowl 26-12-05 13:57

Yes, I'm having the same experience. I will be switching to PS shorty. I've tried to clone in GIMP and find the Help files of very little use. Maybe it's just me but they just don't seem to tell me what I need to know.:confused:

Mick 26-12-05 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowyowl
Yes, I'm having the same experience. I will be switching to PS shorty. I've tried to clone in GIMP and find the Help files of very little use. Maybe it's just me but they just don't seem to tell me what I need to know.:confused:

Got to agree with the bit about help files but it's odd you should mention cloning because I had great fun a week or two ago playing with the cloning tool it works great but for the life of me I can't remember how I got it to work!!!

Mick

Snowyowl 29-12-05 14:05

I gave up on using GIMP for cloning and switched to Photofiltre. Very easy.
Control click on the source area for the clone then move to the destination area and paint or point brush and it's done. Photofiltre has been on my computer for quite a while without really being used. Now that I've tried it I find it much more powerful than I expected and it is certainly user friendly. It's not PS but the price is very right!

Mick 29-12-05 20:29

Has Photofilter got Unsharp mask? if it has I might have a go at using it, user friendly the Gimp isn't.

Mick

Snowyowl 30-12-05 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick
Has Photofilter got Unsharp mask? if it has I might have a go at using it, user friendly the Gimp isn't.

Mick

Yes, it has a sharpen command. I admit that I like the way GIMP's works better but I think that it is just because that's what I'm used to. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts if you do try it.

Snowyowl 30-12-05 20:22

I've been playing with Photofiltre and am very impressed. It seems to pretty much everything GIMP does but is far more user friendly. I had to download quite a few plugins but once that is done it seems really good. I still haven't figured out a couple things but I'm sure I will.
I think I'm sorry that I orderd PS.

Mick 30-12-05 23:08

Hi Snowyowl
I downloaded and installed PhotoFilter tonight and have had a little play, so far I am well impressed, it is certainly easier to use I shall now go and investigate the plugins.
Can you cancel your order?

Mick

Snowyowl 31-12-05 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick
Hi Snowyowl
I downloaded and installed PhotoFilter tonight and have had a little play, so far I am well impressed, it is certainly easier to use I shall now go and investigate the plugins.
Can you cancel your order?

Mick

Unfortunately, no.