World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   General Photography Technique (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Raw+Jpg (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1374)

Saphire 27-08-06 13:56

Raw+Jpg

Am I missing something. I thought I would have a go to save some time by setting the camera to RAW + JPG. I uploaded to the computer and I can't see the JPg anywhere. Do I have to still extract it from the raw image, I am confused I thought there would be two images the same on the CF card one Raw + one JPG. All I can see are RAW.

Stephen 27-08-06 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire
Am I missing something. I thought I would have a go to save some time by setting the camera to RAW + JPG. I uploaded to the computer and I can't see the JPg anywhere. Do I have to still extract it from the raw image, I am confused I thought there would be two images the same on the CF card one Raw + one JPG. All I can see are RAW.

This is right, you only see the Raw file. However if you use the Canon software, can't remember exactly which part, then you can extract a jpeg file from it, without the need to process the Raw file. Now as I don't ever use the Canon software, the whole idea of taking pics with an embedded jpeg in the Raw file seems a waste of time, so I don't. :)

Saphire 27-08-06 14:45

I have come to the same conclusion as well Stephen its a waste of time. Now if the card included both, that would be different as it would mean you could print them straight to the printer without any processing but still have the Raw for your archives.

Saphire 27-08-06 14:52

I am a Div :o It does include the jpg, I mustn't have pressed the set button when I changed it to try. There is two files of each image one JPg + one RAW. Sorry my fault.

Stephen 27-08-06 15:14

Quote:

I am a Div :o It does include the jpg, I mustn't have pressed the set button when I changed it to try. There is two files of each image one JPg + one RAW. Sorry my fault.

You are right :o I could have sworn that on my 10D/20D you couldn't see the jpeg

Have you noticed though that the file dimensions alter if you go from Raw +L to Raw +M1 etc. I always thought it was down to greater compression, think I must be a Div sometimes :D

Saphire 27-08-06 15:26

Not tried that one yet.

I just thought it could be very useful for the odd occasions, sometimes I would like to go straight into cs without having to convert first and do just minor tweaks. Now I have tried it, yes the feature can be very useful.

Gidders 27-08-06 16:15

Sometimes when I'm out with my laptop which doesnt have PS on it I find the RAW + S useful to have a quick look at the images in windows image viewer without the processing overhead of convering RAWs

Roy C 27-08-06 17:05

With the Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP you can view the RAW files before they are processed/converted - I always use this to delete the duffers before view in the RAW converter.

Saphire 27-08-06 17:13

Thanks Roy for some reason I can't get that to work.

Roy C 27-08-06 17:28

Quote:

Thanks Roy for some reason I can't get that to work.

Have you downloaded the latest version Christine as they add support for new cameras every so often.