World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   The Digital Darkroom (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   PS Advice Needed. (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=388)

Snowyowl 06-01-06 19:26

PS Advice Needed.

3 Attachment(s)
I have attached two pictures from yesterday that i like. They are part of about twenty shots of the same bird. The hawk was too close for me to able use my camera zoom to remove the vignetting. Now if I crop to remove it, the bird is too crowded in the picture. One way to solve this would be to do a circular crop (called a cut out in some programs) but PS doesn't seem to do that. Any suggestions? I'll attach an example of what I mean that was done in a different editing program.
The other thing that I'd like to do is to remove the two twigs that are across the hawk's body. I wondered about cloning them out but again I'm looking for suggestions.

Simple 06-01-06 20:16

In PS: To create a circle, select the eliptical marquee tool. Hold down the shift key (this will create a perfect circle) and click and drag the mouse, do not let go of either mouse button and shift key, now also press the space bar and the whole circle will move for more accurate positioning. Once the circle is the size and position you want, let go of the space bar, mouse button, shift button in that order! rightclick mouse in the circle and select layer via copy. Create new layer and position under the circle layer, fill the new layer black or white. Finished.

Snowyowl 07-01-06 16:06

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Simple!
That worked really well. I also learned how to clone in PS and here's the result. I'm sure that with practise I'll learn to do a better job.:)

Nigel G 07-01-06 16:58

Thats a really good effort Snowyowl. The only thing I might suggest when cloning is to make sure you take all of the offending object out rather than just the bit in the way. Otherwise you get left with twig stumps which magically end in unlikely places. :eek:

Simple 07-01-06 17:06

Yes, excellent effort, I'm glad you managed OK.

Snowyowl 07-01-06 19:50

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel G
Thats a really good effort Snowyowl. The only thing I might suggest when cloning is to make sure you take all of the offending object out rather than just the bit in the way. Otherwise you get left with twig stumps which magically end in unlikely places. :eek:

Thanks for the advice. I'll watch that in future.

Here's one that wasn't very successful. I removed the second bird ok but the colour of the resulting background is uneven. I've tried various things to try to even things out but no success. Any suggestions?:confused:

Nigel G 07-01-06 20:05

1 Attachment(s)
I tend to use as big a brush as I can and one with a soft edge. I then dab it rather than wipe and progressively change down to a smaller brush as you get close to the bit you want to keep. (Probably left it a bit late on throat on my effort below but hopefully you get the idea). For an area like the bill you need to swop to a hard edge and the closer you zoom the more acurate you will be. Keep playing.

Snowyowl 08-01-06 13:32

Nice job, Nigel. I will keep playing. I'm having a good time using PS.

Simple 08-01-06 17:13

Another way to make the background evenly blending in is by using the healing brush tool. Very easy use the same way as the clone tool.