World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Photographic Accessories (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Should I Change My Tripod? (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=770)

John 08-03-06 17:09

Should I Change My Tripod?

I have a Slick D163. One problem with this is the twist type leg locks. You think you have tightened them then suddenly, one section becomes loose. Being aware of this I always check, so it is not really a problem. What I want to know is, is there a better one for my purposes, with more damping, but no heavier. I mainly use a tripod with the Canon 100/400 mm lens.

Don Hoey 08-03-06 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by John
I have a Slick D163. One problem with this is the twist type leg locks. You think you have tightened them then suddenly, one section becomes loose. Being aware of this I always check, so it is not really a problem. What I want to know is, is there a better one for my purposes, with more damping, but no heavier. I mainly use a tripod with the Canon 100/400 mm lens.

John,
I have just downloaded the Slik catalogue but the cannot see the D163 so have no idea of its spec.
I use a big Slik so understand the twist lock bit. I also have for portability a Manfrotto 055 which has snap lock legs. Very nice and positive to use. My big Slik has geared centre column and the Manfrotto is pull up and lock. Two quite different beasts so it really depends on what features you would like if you were to switch.

Don

John 08-03-06 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Hoey
John,
I have just downloaded the Slik catalogue but the cannot see the D163 so have no idea of its spec.
I use a big Slik so understand the twist lock bit. I also have for portability a Manfrotto 055 which has snap lock legs. Very nice and positive to use. My big Slik has geared centre column and the Manfrotto is pull up and lock. Two quite different beasts so it really depends on what features you would like if you were to switch.

Don

Thanks Don,
John

Simon Duncan 09-03-06 03:59

Do you see a larger lens in the near future. If so you might want to purchase wit that in mind. When I was shooting w/100-400 I new in a short time I would be moving up to the 500mm so I bought a gitzo 1325 and arca swis ballhead. If your going to be moving up the tripod you by today that will just accomadate the 100-400 will not hold up the larger lenses.

John 09-03-06 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Duncan
Do you see a larger lens in the near future. If so you might want to purchase wit that in mind. When I was shooting w/100-400 I new in a short time I would be moving up to the 500mm so I bought a gitzo 1325 and arca swis ballhead. If your going to be moving up the tripod you by today that will just accomadate the 100-400 will not hold up the larger lenses.

Thank you Duncan. No I don't see me moving up from the 100/400. After reading comments in this thread and the "What Tripod Thread," I've decided to keep the D-3. It weighs 2.4 kgf. It's not C.Fibre but it is very rigid.

JOhn

Leif 09-03-06 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Duncan

I think that for larger lenses it would be worth looking at the new Manfrotto gimbal mount that many people here and elsewhere use. It's not suitable for small lenses though.

Leif

John 09-03-06 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leif
I think that for larger lenses it would be worth looking at the new Manfrotto gimbal mount that many people here and elsewhere use. It's not suitable for small lenses though.

Leif

Thank you Leif. I have been wondering about that for a while now. Looking at them the price put me off especialy as I am about to buy a Leica 62 apo. but now that I have decided to keep my D-3 tripod perhaps I will take the plunge.

Kind regars,
John

Leif 10-03-06 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by John
Thank you Leif. I have been wondering about that for a while now. Looking at them the price put me off especialy as I am about to buy a Leica 62 apo. but now that I have decided to keep my D-3 tripod perhaps I will take the plunge.

Kind regars,
John

John: You could check out Andy Bright's review on his website (digiscoped). He has said somewhere that it is not so convenient for use with a scope. Leif

jammie*dodger 10-03-06 19:46

I love my Benbo, but it's definitely a "marmite" tripod.

If you decide to try something else give a Benbo a look in the shop.

Rob.