World Photography Forum

World Photography Forum (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/index.php)
-   Lenses (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Sigma 75-200mm Problems. (https://www.worldphotographyforum.com/showthread.php?t=5852)

juanodaxis 22-06-10 17:00

Sigma 75-200mm Problems.

Hi all.
First of all, I'm not sure if I supposed to post this in here.
I got a second hand Minolta Dynax 500si Super, with a Sigma Zoom 28-80mm.
This works great, and I'm really happy about it; also, I don't know if this suppose to be a decent set-up for 35mm film camera.
My problem is that I also have a second hand Sigma Zoom 75-200mm, but this lens don't seems to want to work.
I get a lovely picture from the viewer, the zoom and focus works great manually, but the camera won't shoot, and the camera's display won't show any options at all.
When I switch the camera off, this lens gets a little burst of life as the power turns off.
I'm wondering, is this an incompatibility issue? Or the lens is toasted?
Any ideas?
Thanks.

miketoll 22-06-10 18:13

I don't know for certain to be honest but I think it is probably a compatibility issue. I have got some old Sigma lenses which work fine with my old Canon cameras but not the more recent ones. If every thing was much more recent then Sigma could re chip the lens for you but they will not have the necessary chips in stock or ever will so I suspect the lens is no good to you at all.

Alex1994 22-06-10 18:18

If I were you I'd stick with the manufacturer's optics.

juanodaxis 22-06-10 19:13

No option there Alex. I got all this as a package, and for what I payed I can't argue, even if I have to part with the big Sigma (Well, for me is huge) I still had a bargain.
Actually, I just been in my neighbours who works in a shop, and he'll be poping in later, see if he can hellp.
Thanks guys.

juanodaxis 22-06-10 23:16

According to my neighbour, the camera is not compatible with the lens, apparently them lenses are much older than the Dynax.
I won’t be able to get much for the lens, so instead I’ll get a compatible body, something that will take me no more than £20, making me have another toy.
I love old cameras, what can I say.

Red Dog 29-06-10 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by juanodaxis (Post 44387)
According to my neighbour, the camera is not compatible with the lens, apparently them lenses are much older than the Dynax.
I won’t be able to get much for the lens, so instead I’ll get a compatible body, something that will take me no more than £20, making me have another toy.
I love old cameras, what can I say.

Hi again, I use a Sony DSLR the lenses you have should work if they have the electrical contacts on the mount, most Minolta/ Sony mount lenses are "screw" drive only some of the very latest lenses are "motorised" one of the biggest problems was stripping gears in the lenses because of the powerful in body motors.
Canon /Sigma lenses are another issue, many older lenses do not work on the digital bodies unless they have been re chipped, and now Sigma have very nearly finished doing them.
But if you want to try the lenses on my Sony body you are more than welcome:D
Richard.

juanodaxis 29-06-10 23:02

Thanks Red Dog, could do with trying that lens on another camera, it could be faulty too.

Red Dog 30-06-10 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by juanodaxis (Post 44481)
Thanks Red Dog, could do with trying that lens on another camera, it could be faulty too.

Just send me a PM and we can arrange something. :D
Regards
Richard