Thread: please respond
View Single Post
Old 27-07-06, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel G
Hi purplebyron

In the short life of this site similar views have been represented before and I am sure they will be again but as I believe the site aims to be many things to many people I see plenty of opportunity for serious critique just as there is space for the "nice shot" type comment.

However my main reason for posting is that I am intrigued. I'm pretty new to photography and at present learn a lot from what people say about their own images. So, given that you want comment why do you tell us so little about your pictures. Having looked at all 4 you put in today's gallery there is no exif data, no mention of equipment, no comment on circumstance or why you think it worth posting; not even a title. Again that is entirely your perrogative - but I find it slightly at odds with this thread ??

The answer is a very simple one:
i want the image to be judged purely on its own merits ... to start putting titles, information, f stops and location on top is to detract from the most important thing to me which is the image itself. This seems absolutely appropriate.
If a picture or knowing its location is that important, i would be happy to tell someone where it was.
I dont see how this has anything to do with criticsm. opinions, beauty, bin or keep scenarios.
I will, if absolutely vital include as much info as people want ... but it is against what i believe is the important thing here, the image itself.
I do realise that there is a lot of people who view these pics from other places in the world, that are intrigued by where they are, i to sometimes like to know about exotic places, but i dont know how to resolve such matters.
Dr Singh, above gives a great example of your case and i feel bad about the lack of info to people as far away as himself, but this is a photography site, not a sight- seeing bus.
i have already tried to give an idea that would fit Dr singh's wishes more appropriately by the setting up of some kind of diary forum, this could include photographs and a long description of all the things and more that he would find interesting.
To conclude:
1) i find title and information detracts from the important issue to me of the image being judged on its own merit.
2) i am not an entymologist, i often don't know what i am taking a picture of half the time, i am in the dark as much as the viewer.
3) i am still dispondant about the amount of views to comment ratios that seem apparant in this room .. a comment about how someone spent a lovely childhood holiday at a location of where i took a picture of a dragonfly would be of no merit.
4) the technical info,or the lack of, however is a justified and important criticsm that i do believe is me being complacent and lazy and it might be of invaluable use to a fellow photographer, so i apologize on this.
5) to be really honest ... the location issue is a sensitive one ... i have been to many places where i have seen a large amount of people enjoying the sunshine ... personally when i find a secluded place with no-one around just me and my camera and nature i get an enormous amount of pleasure ... i wish to keep it like that ... i know its selfish ... but i have seen so many horrible things in areas of beauty spoilt by people, their dogs etc
6) finally .. photography is always about a decisive moment, one of luck, chance etc etc its hard to perfectly describe information like that.
7) at the moment i am trying hard to look in some cases at patterns within nature ... to provide information would diminish the abstract nature of the form within the image

p.s
like i have said before i would be glad to divulge any information if asked ... it is obvious to me that the room is split into two areas ...one being people interested in the image and process, the other- the room is frequented by people who wish to holiday with their eyes.

Last edited by purplebyron; 27-07-06 at 13:12.