View Single Post
Old 22-08-06, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieholmes
I have not actualy converted any images yet with Nx as my laptop is desperatly low on hard drive space. ...................................... What are the benefits of converting it to a high quality Jpeg rather than a tiff file?
Ollie,

In your case it is file size.

The helicopter image in the graphic above is NEF 13.27mb , TIFF 70.07mb, JPEG 5.15mb.

As each processing action creates an undo then with a TIFF you will quickly run out of RAM and then the pc will use the hard disk to temporarily store and retrieve this info. At this point all processing actions will slow to a crawl. I had a go with a large file on my laptop yesterday, 833MHz with 128Mb of RAM, 10Gb free space, machine just defragged. When RAM was full simple actions took over 8 minutes

I suggest you take a NEF and save that as a TIFF and a JPEG and use explorer to check relative file sizes. I have just edited the 5.15mb JPEG mentioned above and added 6 control points and saved it as a NEF. It is now 10.7mb still hugely smaller than a TIFF. Why is the NEF larger than the origional JPEG ?? .............. It retains all the edit actions that I made, and these are available to make any additions or changes you may wish the moment the image is opened. In effect non destructive editing of the JPEG from the moment it was saved as a NEF.

As to the sharpening feature I would have to have a look as I have not used this in NX.

I hope this is some help.

Don