View Single Post
Old 28-08-06, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baycat
That is a fantastic shot wolfie -really sharp!

I was thinking of buying the Sigma 180 but having read a few reviews and forum discussions I am now leaning more towards the Sima 150. It will still offer a reasonable amount distance from the subject and I have read that it is somewhat sharper than the 180 and offers a greater potential dof.

Having said that, Wolfie's shot shows that the 180 is far from soft. Does anyone have any experience of the two lenses?

My intended subject matter will range from flighty insects, to slow moving whopping great insects to plants and fungi. I'll be using it in the rainforest, so the lighter weight of the 150 is a bonus!
Something in the range 150-180mm is ideal for flighty insects. But it can be a bit cumbersome for fungi although it will work.

Regarding DOF, you will get the same DOF from a 105mm lens as with a 180mm lens, as long as the aperture and image magnification are the same.

The difference is that a longer lens has a narrower field of view, making it easier to isolate a subject against a smooth background.

And of course a longer lens is usually bigger and heavier.

There are some more reviews on www.PhotoZone.de including the two Sigmas you are looking at.

Leif