Thread: Airshow Advice
View Single Post
Old 12-09-06, 10:33

We are considering two of my preferred lens solutions. I have superb images from both. I find 70-200 with 1.7X TC (340mm f4.8) usable at effective f8 as the primary lens will be near f5.6, its sweet spot. However 70-200 at f2.8 is soft but sharpens quickly at f3.5/4 , using a TC at the point where the primary lens is poor is not a good idea. When I use this combination weather must be bright and I use aperture priority - not a good idea to get decent prop blur from those warbirds at Duxford. 300mm f2.8 is an excellent lens, I am sure this is already known however it attracts attention and maybe difficult to use in a crowd, 300mm will be adequate at Duxford but 340-400 perfect depending what you want and where you decide to set 'base camp'.

Be aware that Duxford has runway headings 24/06 and the crowdline will be on the North side so the sun will be in your face and lens until 4pm or so. On top of that the Autumn show will have the lowest sun so silhouette/backlit shots will be the order of the day. Please do read this wrong post 4pm the lighting will be good and excellent shots will result. As Ollie suggests the bank near the tank museum might be best for lighting as it you will be shooting to the East so sun will come round faster in effect.

Now, metering mode - with these lenses I find metering very accurate so matrix mode will be spot on.

Hope this help, dont forget to share your photos when you return!