Thread: Airshow Advice
View Single Post
Old 13-09-06, 09:30

70-200VR f2.8 is soft at f2.8 but increases in sharpness quickly at f4, by f5.6 the lens is very sharp on a par with 300VR f2.8. If a teleconverter is put behind any lens sharpness will decrease and CA (chromatic aberration) will increase. If you operate the camera in aperture priority aiming at f5.6 for the primary lens (effective f9.5 shown on the camera with 1.5 stop loss on TC17) then you will achieve nice results but life is a compromise so I suggest aperture priority at f7.1 where the primary lens will be approx f4.5 - sharp enough.

Airfields that have a single strip tarmac or otherwise offer two runways and the numbers are magnetic headings to the nearest 10 degrees. Runway 24 (240) is the magnetic heading of one runway and as the prevailing wind is from the west (270) this is the most likely to be in use on any day but if conditions favour 06 (060) then the will use the opposite direction as 060 is the reciprocal of 240 on a compass.

Now, back to Duxford. The display line (A-axis) will run along 240/060 degrees and the crowdline is on the North side of this line. As the sun rises in the East and sets in the West travelling through South the sun will be in your face and force back-light conditions until such time when the Sun travelling through South to West goes beyond 240 degrees, at that point approx 4pm lighting will be favourable. In July the Sun is not as great a problem as in Autumn as the Sun is higher in July but becoming low in October. Therefore directly in your eyes until 4pm or so.

Hope this helps.

I have never been to an Autumn show at Duxford but I have been to the September show once or twice and lighting was becoming a problem for photography.