View Single Post
Old 28-11-06, 21:36

To give an idea of the view through my telescopic sight, I took a pic today. I also took a pic of this evenings moon and scaled it to fit. To ensure accurate scale I took one through the sight itself, but that image quality is poor so I downsized a larger version.

I have set this up in dusk conditions locked onto a star just above dead centre. The star was observed for 15minutes and it held true to the cross hair until it exited view to the right. I also tracked a star quite easily over a reasonable exposure time, The 501 is quite a chunky fluid head. Easy in dusk conditions, but until I can light the crosshairs, a very tricky job in total darkness.

The crosshairs are gold and my intention is to figure a way of lighting these. I have taken advantage of glancing a mini torch beam and the effect is similar to the view in the second pic. In terms of scale, Orions belt occupies nearly the full width of the scope, unlike in this image, so manual tracking is a serious option for occasional use.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg View through telescopic sight.jpg (73.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Lit crosshairs.jpg (113.9 KB, 8 views)