Thread: Portrait help
View Single Post
Old 08-02-07, 19:45

Hi again Fiona

Thanks for your response. I think it will be a great idea to get your hubby involved too. Anything you can do to make it more relaxed will be just great. I think you just keep your camera on your lap and take when she is speaking to your hubby or when she is speaking to you.

I did a shoot with a friend the other day, and all the while she was telling me the tale all about a ball she had been to that weekend - and I ended up with loads of candid shots of her with the most fantastic expressions on her face!! You could never replicate that in real life so you need to get her chatting about something she is interested in and just shoot. Take shots with her looking away, sideways, below, above and looking at you.

As I said, I like to get up close and personal - and that can take some getting used to for your subject.

If you wish to take shots of her smiling, make sure she shows her teeth, as a tight lipped smile (which most people do when they are feeling self conscious!) looks fairly odd on a photograph. I have photographed a few weddings of late, and my big thing is to keep saying "teeth"!!!! It becomes a bit of a joke between me and the bride and bridesmaids!!

And a 13th birthday party! Bliss. I dream of being able to photograph so many young people!! It would be great. Unfortunately, I have no youngsters in my family now, so I have to rely on friends children.

Have done a few parties, though, for friends children, all very young ones - mostly below 5. They are great fun. Take them individually and in groups - 13 year olds will be more than happy to pose, I am sure. It goes back to my first posting to you - they are much braver in gangs - and will forget you are there!!

If you want to discuss nearer the time, don't hesitate to put me a private message in and we can chat further.

Let me know how you get on, Fiona.

Good luck. You can't go wrong!!

Enjoy!

Lesley