View Single Post
Old 30-03-07, 14:50

The last submission by Don really is an eye opener, especially to Canon users. Yes the Canon full frame is better for megapixle size but the density of the Nikon makes the 1.5 crop factor better because telephoto lenses now have 50% more power. (If you crop the Canon FF down to the Nikon DX format, you loose detail due to less pixel density). The Nikon DX format is also better for 35mm designed lenses as well especially for wide angles as the report shows light fall off in the corners using Canon's FF.

As it stands, at present the Nikon DX format has its fair share of advantages over Canon's FF; but is pixel density going to be the down fall of Nikon's DX format for the future? Because Canon has a bigger format, they will be able to cram in more pixels in the future, and if Nikon don't have a solution to this, Canon will continue to get bigger and bigger as far as megapixles are concerned.

It will be very interesting to see what Nikon is going to do next, if they do go FF, there will be a lot of good DX glass that can't be used.

I will be holding onto my Nikon D200 AND MY MEDIUM FORMAT GEAR until the fog clears from the path of formats, I hope I don't have to hold onto them for to long a time. Nikon's next moove will probably be the deciding factor.

Regards

Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan Farmer; 30-03-07 at 15:02.