Thread: Flash Outside
View Single Post
Old 24-04-07, 13:29

Don

I have used the inverse square law in my film days as well. That was not lhat I was trying on this thread.

What it seemed to me was - for whatever the reason - and I cannot explain it - but my images I got at the pier with the light on yesterday - even if the flash did not actuallly hit anything - the exposure seemed snappier and slight sharper than if I turned it off.

It does not make sense to me, either, why that should be. When I used a magnifying glass on the cam's viewing screen in a dark area, I sensed the image with the light on was slightly snappier and a tad sharper generally than the one without the light - botlh were hand held as well. I did an image each way as well to see if I could tell a reason, but I could not tell why just using a magnifier.

I know full well how far my light goes - and it would not go much more distance than the one of Anne - expecially in the sun.

I am going to have to look into this further - because I feel it should not happen mysel as well, but, I felt it was so. I wonder if the cam's meter system thinks that with the flash on, it needs to give a certain shutter speed and f stop no matter the light level or distance to give a tad snappier exposure? The cam was set to ALL AUTOMATIC everything.

Many times I see people using these cams like my S600 with the light going - no matter what the distance and light level - and I wonder why they should be on, but..... I guess I will have to search out some answers.

When I worked up the images on here, I scrubbed the non flash images as I did not do anything to them on here. Next time I will keep both and study the idea further.

Norm D

I love the Old Masters for incentive and compositional ideas.