View Single Post
Old 07-05-07, 16:11

Please dont insult my intelligence!

I have been studying and conserving insect since a small lad and am very aware that insects are cold bloodied!!

I dont suppose you have ever noticed but even in the warmest of summers butterfly's, dragonflies moths etc, all are pretty much helpless until the sun has warmed them enough that their circulation is sufficient for them to start to fly.

If you have ever bred any of the many moths such as the larger hawk Moths, Noctuids, etc you will have seen they will vibrate their wings for a good 5-10 minutes before being able to fly. This is to ensure their circulation and body temprature is sufficient to maintain their flight and to prevent injury. very similar to us warming up before excercise.

yes many insects do get taken inro the atmosphere but many also die as they cannot survive the frezing experience. There are many insects that use the wind as a strategy to colonise other areas spiders use their silk to do this as well as other insects, however it is always a lottery as to whether they are taken high enough to survive.

Dont beleive everything you see or hear on discovery channel. How about getting out and discovering things for yourself?

Slightly miffed, Nogbad