View Single Post
Old 05-06-07, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
if I was in your position there would be only one route I would go, and that is a proper job.

Nikon SB-R1 Close Up Remote Kit or Sigma EM-140 DG Ring Light Flash.

The Nikon unit being the more versatile of the two, and you can add additional flash units at a later date. i-TTL so no flash knowledge or calculations required.
Nooo ... my wallet is already starting to give me dirty looks on a regular basis ...

Seriously, I allow myself a limited number of toys per year, and I have pretty much reached this years limit with the 85mm micro.

Regarding limited depth of field, yes I agree that is the killer. I photographed a Nettle Weavil at the weekend, and although I quite liked the image, DOF was not really enough at F22, and diffraction was seriously reducing resolution. It would make a good 6x4" print but no bigger. I am playing with the idea of using that special software to combine multiple images to get increased DOF. I will experiment at the weekend. The issue is whether or not I can get multiple images of a bug in field conditions.

Don't give up on the great outdoors. I use a mini tripod leg attached to a ground spike, and a clamp at the top to steady plants. I've attached a Ladybird Nymph photographed outdoors on a clamped leaf. I was using a macro lens with tubes. And make sure you go out early or late, or on a cool day, when insects are dopey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC1020 Ladybird Nymph Frame.jpg (87.2 KB, 11 views)