View Single Post
Old 19-08-07, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPhotography View Post
Im a relative noob to all this so forgive my ignorance, but what is a USM??
USM is Un-Sharp Mask. A tool you'll find in Photoshop under Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask. I'd be carefull with it though, it's very easy to overdo this filter and make things look rather false.

Of the four you've posted above, I like the first one the best for the angle of the lighting and the general composition. As Mike has implied, it is spoiled a bit by the clutter in the background. Having gone to a car show last week, I can sympathise with the difficulty of avoiding this nuisance though. The second one has a nice composition with everything in the picture being in context, but the angle of the light isn't so pleasing. All I can suggest is take a good look around as soon as you get to the show, figure out where the sun is now, and where it's going to be later. Take account of this and plan which pictures you are going to take at different times.

Try and pick angles/crops that reduce the impact of background clutter. If you can't get the full car in without a load of other stuff making the picture too busy, then try and do tight details of particular features of a car.

I like the idea of the third pic, with both "ends" showing, again, the trees detract. Can't really suggest how you could have worked around this, and still got the fore and aft picture.

Hope this helps,

Duncan