Thread: big bird flight
View Single Post
Old 06-09-07, 00:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Newcomer, because Mark Wilson reminded me that this might be a forum to learn about the use of modes, first ... manual ... and then AV ... so here goes some thread searching ... I believe, but I don't yet know why it's not worth buying a good lens if I'm only going to use "Sport" setting.

Constructive prompts, nudges even the odd KITA will be appreciated.

His Lofty Supremacy, Yelvertoft, kindly directed me here ... I'll be reading the threads for weeks but I'd love to get several views on this specific question ...

... Why is it not worth buying my new 100-400mm 4.5/5.6 L USM if I'm only going to use "Sport" setting for shots of vulture take-offs, landings and fly-bys ... very rarely against sky background (I have tested the locations with video XM2, now I want great stills)??

The thing about Vultures is that they are relatively slow moving in flight, however, when coming in to land at a feed melee they can drop out of the sky like rain, just before they make final landing they have to put on the brakes, this is the time to shoot them. I have taken many photo's at feeds, sometimes 200 to 300 birds or more can be circling over the kill waiting for the first one to make a move, there is an heirarchy, that is they don't all come to the kill at once, (although it can seem like it when the melee starts). Once the first bird has landed the rest follow very quickly, that's when the scrum starts. If you're lucky enough to come across the carcass of a horse or cow in Vulture territory it will pay you to stake it out, it could be several days before it's ready for the birds to start feeding, they seem to know when the flesh is just ripe enough to begin gorging themselves. I've found it's best to position yourself quite some distance from the dead animal, this can have two advantages, first it's not so smelly and second the birds are more prepared to come in! Work from the car if it's convenient, or a hide if not, remember these birds have terrific eyesight and can see you from 2000 feet up or more. I usually work with my150-500mm Tokina ATX zoom with a 1.4 converter attached, but more recently I've used a Tamron 200-500mm zoom plus 1.4 converter. This combination allows for picking out birds as they come in to land, single bird shots stood about and group melee shots. For the flight shots I work with the lens one stop down, for the melee shots I go for depth of field in order to have more birds sharp in the frame, all on aperture priority!

Here's a few shots to show what I mean.

nirofo.

Griffon Vulture flight formation.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...tionflight.jpg

Griffon Vultures coming in to feed.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...uresatfeed.jpg

Griffon Vulture melee.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...resatfeed2.jpg