View Single Post
Old 25-09-07, 11:03

Default On the horns of a dilema

I have a bit of a problem - a good problem though. I have a Nikon D80, Nikon 18-135 and Nikon 300 f4 lens. The Nikon D80 is good, and I really like the 300 f4 even though I have only had it for a few weeks. My main interest is bird photography. I bought the 300 for handholding and am planing to buy a 500. I would love the Nikon 500 and now they have a VR version, but the cost is ridiculous. I was thinking of the Sigma 500 but..... I was also thinking of getting a second camera either a D200 or the new D300. Now you may think that my pockets are very deep but I was hoping to get the lens second hand even though there would be no chance with the new VR.

Now my problem - somebody said to me why don't I get a Canon 30D or the new 40D and a 500 IS. They are a lot cheaper than Nikon and have been around for a while so a secondhand one is an option. They also said keep the Nikon kit you have. I have done some research and yes the Canon 500 IS is at least $1000 cheaper and with the dollar rate at the moment it would almost be worth flying to the Sates to buy one rather than buying in Ireland.

The EOS 40D and 500 IS would be about €2000 over my budget but a secondhand 30D and 500IS or new 40D and secondhand 500IS might be on budget.

Thoughts please - 30D v 40D and the whole second Canon range, is it worth the hassle of having 2 makes .

Thanks

Michael - frustrated but in a nice way