Thread: IS adaptor
View Single Post
Old 25-09-07, 22:05

Great idea, in theory is perfectly good idea.

A variation along this theme are the gyro stabiliser units. They've been around for a number of years, some pre dating even Auto focus SLRs. In fact I seem to remember Minolta making a song and dance about a unit they brought out and attatched to the base of a Minolta 7000. The 35mm Handbook by Michael Freeman of the time had a picture of one.
If memory serves me correctly some were made by a company called Nova (Don't think they were anything to do with the dev' tank manufacturers).
Never used one to take pictures, so don't know how effective they were. Only handled a couple.
The units were rather large (about the size of a house brick), heavy (about the weight of a house brick), and were incredibly expensive (about the price of a house!). They had a 1/4" thead to attach to the base of a camera, or more commonly the tripod bush of a 'long tom' lens.
Haven't seen any for a while now. things move on, I guess perhaps variants seen more often now are fitted to mobile TV Cameras, popular on the sidelines of field sports. maybe there's a lot more to those units??

Last edited by Joe; 25-09-07 at 22:08.