View Single Post
Old 13-02-08, 19:32

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
I know there's at least one member out there using this lens, I'd like some feedback on how usable it is and if anyone has used it with a 1.4x teleconvertor. I know this is a physically large lens and am concerned that if it's too big I'd never bother taking it out and about. also, if I'm doing stuff where I need a long lens, I probably want a bit more than 300mm - hence the query on 1.4x t/con. How usable is it with a t/con? I know that my Sigma 135-400 is utterly useless with a convertor and don't want to find myself disappointed with this combo.

Before anyone says "You don't wnat to but one of them, you need lens [insert esoteric long tom lens name here]......", bear in mind that you probably can't get that item in a Pentax fit, and I'm not going to swap systems for the sake of a lens that probably won't get a lot of use. As it is, I'm struggling with even considering buying an £800 lens for the low usage it will get when I already have the 135-400.

Duncan

Hi Duncan.

I can thoroughly recommend the Sigma 100 - 300 APO EX HSM f4 lens. It is very sharp, in fact as sharp as some of the canon L series lens I have and used. It is very heavy though and is best used on a sturdy mono or tripod, it can be hand held but dependent on your size and strength !!!!! Saying that it is not to heavy to be off putting, this weekend I had a 20D, Sigma 10 - 20, Sigma 24 - 70, Canon 70 - 200 L, Flash, Monopod, TC, various other bits of kit and the 100 - 300 in my bag and hiked 3 -4 miles with it !!!!!

On the TC front, I use the 1.4x APO on mine most of the time, it has no detectable loss in sharpness and the focusing is lightning fast. The only down side is you will lose a stop, so you'll be at f5.6 rather than f4 all the way. The 2x TC doesn't work with the auto focus though.

Have a read here, we can't all be wrong !!!! http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=37&page=3

PM if you need any more info...........

Jason