View Single Post
Old 19-02-08, 23:01

Quote:
I was always led to believe that the bigger and heavier the camera was, then a slower shutter speed was useable. This was due to inertia.
That's another factor too...which is why I feel far more comfortable handholding my big heavy nikon D1series cameras at slow speeds than I do with Wife's Canon 300D...However, Jacky finds it extremely uncomfortable to hold my nikons up to her eye, let alone hold it still enough to get sharp shots at low speeds......due to hand/arm strain I mentioned in previous posts.
Also as previuosly posted, the effects of format size is a big factor which is often overlooked, which is the point I was trying to make.
I agree with Duncan, in that there really are no hard and fast rules re shutter speeds verse sharp shots. Depends on the result you're after but I've taken a few that I preferred with blur than without.
The features of IS/supersteady shot/VR are also sometimes misunderstood. More than once I've heard of customers bringing cameras back where Is technology has been used "but look at this print...the moving car is still blurred"...IS works to minimise the risk of blur occuring due to movement of photographer/ person holding the camera whilst shutter is open.
It would be so much easier if IS worked to slow the whole world down! we'd all be out taking pictures of the previuosly impossible, using really low ISO for quality and exposures of several seconds

PS, great shot Gordon!

Last edited by Joe; 19-02-08 at 23:05.