View Single Post
Old 10-04-08, 21:29

Hi Don,
Quote:
As you have NX and CS2 perhaps you can advise other than the filters, the advantage this package offers.
Thinking about this in particular I suppose that Dfine; Sharpener Pro and Viveza are most of benefit to Capture NX and Photoshop CS3 users, though they are designed to be compatible with any program that use Photoshop Plugins. Certainly CS2 and CS3, and Aperture 2 to follow.

I suppose then that the main advantage is that they are integrated within the main program ie they become part of CS2; CS3; - When you install them they create a separate Nik Software Folder in the plugin/filter folder among all the others. So instead of going to sharpen - unsharp mask - I go to Nik Software - Sharpener Pro and carry on as I would with unsharp mask. They all - also have a built on Loupe window with a preview so I can see the effect it would have - if applied - variable up to 400%. This I think is a big plus for them. Also you can save settings to use again if needed. The ColorEfex also works as part of the parent program and has the same built in loupe windows / live preview and the ability to save settings.

The preview / loupe window definitely saves me time - speaking personally - I've lost count of the number of times I reduced noise and had to undo the effect and re-calibrate strength etc. With it - you can see the result of the effect fully - before you apply it. In the words of the TV show "to Buy or not to Buy" - you can "try before you buy" - no commitment to a final result.
Also all these programs / filters come with a free trial period.

By the way 30-40 was an exaggeration - most I've managed - trying to push it - was 14 separate filters before CS3 crashed.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!