Thread: Problem
View Single Post
Old 24-04-08, 17:29

Even if the lens has a smear on it, say from a finger, it will not show up unless it is a bad smear if the light is from behind or to one side (as in this shot) and not catching the front lens element at an oblique angle. The best way to see if the lens needs cleaning is to look carefully at the surface from different angles. The fact that the camera is nearly new makes no difference as it only takes one careless moment to touch the lens with a finger! If you need to clean the lens first blow any particles off with a blower (not your breath as spittle could land on the lens and make matters worse) and then carefully wipe the lens with a micro fibre cloth starting at the centre of the lens moving with a circular motion to wards the outer part of the lens. i.e. a outward spiral. Don't overdo cleaning as you do not want to unnecessarily risk any scratches from dust not removed by the blower (I use the ''Rocket'' blower). I keep an eye on my lenses and clean only when necessary. A clean lens reduces the incidents of flare but does not stop it. Hope this helps.