View Single Post
Old 26-04-08, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
I'd be interested to see if Adey already has some crackers
No he hasn't

I've got several dragonfly flight shots and they seem OK, but butterflies never quite look 'right' in flight to me (well, that's my excuse, anyway!). I've certainly tried but I've never been really satisfied with the results. I think it's something to do with how we appreciate them - with dragonflies, most of the identification features are on the 'body' which remains fairly visible in flight whereas the attractive parts of butterflies (the wings) are all of a blur. Fine for the odd impressionistic shot but just how many blurred butterfly shots do you want If you manage to 'freeze' them in mid-flight then all you get is the same sort of shot that you'd have of them on a flower - except you haven't got the flower!

Not sure about your last paragraph, Rob - until today I've only seen six butterflies all year (that's six individuals, not six species!). A few more today, including my first Speckled Wood and Holly Blue, but it's been by far the slowest start to the season that I can ever remember and the forecast isn't looking wonderful for the next few days...

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway