Thread: Iso
View Single Post
Old 08-11-08, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
The quote tool is great...everyone can mis-quote everyone else and really get in a twist. marvelous lol

The key to this one are the words quoted "If I had the cash".
What makes you think we were referring to you Joe ?
We know you worked for Jessops but you can't walk around with a chip on you shoulder all your life very tongue in cheek no offence intended mate.

I think the general point being made is that rushing out to buy the next model does not necessarily bring an improvement to the photography. It's a bit like a non-smoker rushing out to buy a new car because it has a self emptying ash tray. Those of us with a limited cash flow are always looking to see where we can get the best bang per buck.

I upgraded my 20D to 40D 10 months ago so as far as I am concerned it has plenty of life left in it yet. The main reasons for the upgrade was because my 20D was over 2 and a half years old. Halfway through it's shutter life. It had more than it's fair share of being dropped and soaked. View finder full of dust.

So 10 months down the road what did I gain out of the upgrade. To be honest image quality if any comes a fair way down the list. Most reviewers also make this point. What surprised me is how much I prefer larger screen on the back over the 20D. The sensor cleaning has also been a boom, touch wood I have not had to resort to manual cleaning yet. On the odd shot you see the odd mark in rapid fire mode (the flapping mirror stirring things up) but it soon clears.

I find the menus generally better than the 20D. The highlight priority and the smaller increments in ISO come in useful. I believe the 40D also has an auto ISO Mode but I have never made use of it. Many people made a fuss over the Nikon having spot metering which was introduced on the 40D again I have not made much use of it. The other feature which I am starting to make more use of is the live view (even though it drains the battery like hell). Great for getting shots in critical focus as my eye sight is not too good with the small view finder on crop cameras.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 08-11-08 at 13:56.