View Single Post
Old 22-01-06, 10:39

My story starts off somewhat similar to postcards. I became interested in bird photography as a teenager after finding roach abbey. I was a keen birder in those days and at roach abbey there was a large tree stump that was baited in the winter and attracted a hugh array of birds, including marsh tits and nuthatches that you could get really close to. For my birthday my dad bought me an slr with a 300mm lens (I cant remember what make) and I was hooked. Then we had a burglary and my camera was stolen and that was that. Then events took over (I went to university and had a family etc) and I never got back into it. Then about 3 years ago I bought a computer as I wanted to set up an internet business and as part of the package I got a Olympus brio d230 which I thought was wonderful and which I used to photograph all the flowers in my gardens and allotments. Then one day a friend of mine posted a photograph of a bluetit on a forum that I visited and I was amazed at the closeness that she had achieved. That was all that was needed to trigger my passion in bird photography once again. That was when I bought my Minolta dimage z1. Certainly not the best camera to use but it was a great starter for me. Then I found birdforum and saw all the bird photos that were being posted and the quality that was being achieved and I wanted to take photos like that. A friend of mine convinced me that the canon 300d would be the camera for me (the 350d had only just come out and was very expensive!) So I bought it but even from the beginning I didnt like it. It was very slow and the delay in start up drove me crazy so after only 2 months I bit the bullet and bought the 350d. Now I am starting to produce the kind of birdphotos that I want and am starting to look elsewhere for inspiration. New lenses and filters are planned for this year and once again I find that I still have alot to learn!

Adey it seems that friends have alot to answer for!

Last edited by Annette; 22-01-06 at 10:46.