View Single Post
Old 19-12-08, 19:15

Hi Gordon, The sigma 120-300mm 2.8 zoom is an attractive proposition on paper, and I considered it. However, check out an example in the flesh if you can, as I didn't particularly liked the way it handled, but I realise many don't mind it and think they are the best lenses since sliced bread! lol. The flexibilty of being able to zoom back to 120mm instead of reaching down for the second body with the 80-200mm 2.8 means in theory you don't miss the shot.
In terms of focus speed a 300mm 2.8 prime (and 80-200mm) is waaay faster on my older Nikon bodies, most noticeable with the F5 film body.
The example I tried that came into the shop I used to work at wasn't that much quicker than my 80-200 with 1.4x converter! Others may find different with newer bodies, maybe?
Checkout the Sigma 300mm 2.8. I got the old version, but the new ones are equally mega small and lightweight for such a bright lens. (my old Tamron 300mm was about a third bigger and heavier)
Not much experience of the Canon lenses myself, but I know the 100-400 canon L has a major following. Mario has one, and the times I've tried it it's been very snappy focusing, with a familar push-pull zoom normally reserved for shorter focal lengths....kind thinking the 5.6 aperture might be limiting during these winter months though??..and nothing beats a nice narrow depth of field 'punch' of the big glass

Last edited by Joe; 19-12-08 at 19:20.