Thread: Canon A1 coming
View Single Post
Old 09-11-09, 21:06

You would not believe the number of old 'pro-sumer' level 35mm SLR cameras we have binned, just as the number of DSLR which will also probably be binned.
I'm not saying that an average DSLR is more durable than an average 35mm SLR once was, far from it. In fact, yes, some older kit is probably over engineered.....BUT, there is a myth that all older solid metal 35mm SLR cameras will last and last. Have seen enough defunct Canon F1n's Minolta XD7 Nikon FM FE FA's and Pentax LX dodgy electrics. Only today I was talking to a chap with a mint looking Nikon F3,hardly looked used and still boxed!, but non working due to shot innards (ironically probably due to non use and damp storage). bearings and moving parts SOMETIMES arent as durable are a circuit board.
Just saying that because a camera looks solid from the outside, doesnt mean it is inside. This is also probably apt for many ebay hunters too I guess?.