View Single Post
Old 09-01-10, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtphotoasiA View Post
I'm also wondering if also the best photographers are used to delete a lot of pics.
Tight editing is an important part of being a good photgrapher, but so is choosing when to open the shutter.

I have found as I have got better at landscape photography that the number of compositions I make has fallen dramatically. I spend a lot more time thinking about the image these days than I used to, and am more likely to set up and wait for the light to be how I want it. So, in a typical day out with the camera in my local area, I might make somwhere between 5 and 10 compositions. There will be some bracketing of exposures, maybe some different filter combinations while I get the technical side right, and the unsatisfactory exposures will be binned. I usually keep one or two of each compostion, and rarely bin a whole series on initial review unless it is clearly rubbish. The 'nearly rights' sometimes grow on me over time, or provide a reference to go and try again. So overall, I probably delete fewer now than I used to, but I also make fewer images too. I think the proportion of discards has fallen though over time.