View Single Post
Old 08-02-10, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
Like Mike I am also a Canon man. I am surprised the Nikon folk have not rushed forward to sing the praises of the D90. Whilst I don't believe in getting the latest gadget for its own sake Alex does verge on the technophobic.

If you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket then sure go ahead the photographic industry needs the cash injection. If not then you need to take a step back and think it through. There are the folk who buy the latest model every 18 - 24 months or so and it is not long before the shine wears off and they are lusting for the next model. Is your camera a tool or a piece of jewellery ?

When buying a new piece of kit I am a strong believer in understanding exactly what advantage it has over the old kit. It maybe a better quality lens will go along way to improve your photos than a new body.

What features of the D90 do you need ?

Sure the D90 is a step in the right direction above the entry level D60 but will it improve your images or do you want a more robust body with a few more and easier to use features.

From your question I suspect you are not sure.
Me a technophobe? Never!

.....Now where did I put my Velvia?

Anyway, what I meant to say is what rob has kindly re-iterated.

a) Will the extra features of the D90 (no 'extra' features aside HD video, just improvements on the D60s features) make a difference to your photos?

b) The lens is far more important than the body. Buying a really expensive body and sticking with the kit lens is a common mistake. A new lens will let you take photos in a whole different way. So we can make recommendations, what lens (es) are you using now?