View Single Post
Old 08-02-10, 19:05

Seem to have missed this thread somewhere along the line but here's my "2d worth". Much as it pains me - I think I agree with Alex - . The D90 is long in the tooth in camera terms, and yes the D60 is what they call an "entry" model and the D90 an upper level body. I notice that you have not posted images in the gallery yet so it is hard to know what interests you, photographically. If you use your camera for "family snaps" then your D60 will do you very nicely for years to come. If you are exploring photography in general and feel you have reached a stage where you would like more control of your images, also you have explored the full capabilities of the D60 and you feel that it limits your creativity - then it is time to upgrade the body. I always concentrate on getting the best lenses I can afford before considering the bodies. They will stay with you for years - the bodies will upgrade every 18 months to two years. Look at the specs of several models - see what they offer - and decide if there is one that should push your skills. Then look at the body cycles. If you are approaching the time of an upgraded body then wait until the new model comes out as the one you have decided on will fall in price. Compare it with the upgrade when that is announced and decide if you are willing to pay the premium that the upgrade will attract. Are those upgraded features worth the extra cash? Will you actually use them? For most of us - over 90% of the pictures we take can be captured very easily with an "entry model" camera body. You have a lot of questions to ask yourself - don't hurry. Again the glass - lenses are the most important part of your kit IMHO. My carrying a Nikon D3 and 24 - 70 mm AF-s f2.8 Nikkor round my neck, and the fact that I have been taking picture for over 50 years does NOT make me a photographer. The images I produce make me hope that some people might regard me as having some promise in that direction, but then who knows - There's no pleasing some folk . If I were you I'd be looking at the D90 or D300 and waiting to see what emerges from Nikon in the next two or three months before taking the plunge.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!