View Single Post
Old 04-03-10, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
You need not bother as it is irrelevant - until you come to print it is a meaningless figure.
When you download to the PC you must be using a program to do so - it is this program that is setting the 72 dpi. I use Canon's DPP to and there is a setting whereby you can set the default output resolution (which I have set to 72 dpi !!!) but you can set it to whatever you want.
If we are talking jpegs straight from the camera then it is the camera that is setting the ppi and not any external software.

Canon have always been all over the place with jpeg ppi depending on the camera model. If I remember correctly it has varied from 180, 160 and 72ppi.

As a example all Olympus E-system modeles output jpegs at 311ppi, why ,because that is the ppi that Olympus's only printer (dyesub) outputs at.

I could understand when the Canons used to be 180ppi as it matched there own printers output, (180ppi used to divide exactly inti the DPI settings) but 72ppi, well pehaps they think most 7D owners will be outputting to the web.

But agree it is none event till you are outputing as a print.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Last edited by Craftysnapper; 04-03-10 at 10:00.