View Single Post
Old 24-08-10, 11:30

Aha, in terms of pure volume digital wins. However, digital always brings more volume: for example, over the holidays, I shot 4 rolls of film, or 144 pictures. On the digital camera over the same period of time there are more than 800 photos, and I usually took the OM with me out and about rather than the digi. So it does indeed take me less time to process 4 rolls of film with the following process: prepare darkroom (wait for lights out, shut door), mix chemicals (dilute developer, the rest are ready to use, bring to temperature in the fridge), develop (8 mins for two rolls of film, so 16 for all my holiday pics, add ten minutes for loading). Really the most time consuming part is the scanning, but of course as that happens you can always be doing something else in the background. With the preview scan facility I only do the time-consuming fullres scans on the photos I want.

Now imagine loading 800 piccies off a CF card and running them through a RAW engine, editing, deleting the crappy ones...it is indeed more time consuming. Certainly worth it, but more time consuming.