View Single Post
Old 05-11-10, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlbionJackal View Post
surely the fact still remains that the larger the maximum aperture of a lens, be it with a Compact sensor or a slightly larger 4/3 sensor, the maximum aperture at a set focal length is still going to determine how much light you have to play with and therefore the quality of the image given the skill of the photographer.
If you're shooting landscapes, I'd be surprised if you are using anything like wide open apertures or need fast shutter speeds, therefore I see no need for a fast lens. I see more need for a good dynamic range and low noise, which you are more likely to get from a bigger sensor.
For your portrait work, I can see that a fast lens may be advantageous if you're using available light, but you really should be thinking about the effects of using wide open apertures on the DoF. You may be able to bump up the shutter speed to avoid camera shake with a fast lens, but do you really want a minuscule DoF for the given subject?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlbionJackal View Post
Or do Compacts and 4/3s have an effective way of increasing the luminosity without increasing noise?
No. Compacts particularly are poor in terms of noise.