View Single Post
Old 17-06-12, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
Firstly hi and welcome to WorldPhotographyForum.

I can't help with suggesting where to buy a camera from but would point out that the camera won't be quite as cheap as it first appears. When you return to the UK you will need to pay the import duty and the VAT on it which will often make the total price similar to buying in the UK. You will also have the issue that if you have a problem with it you may have to pay to return it to the USA retailer to deal with any issues.
HMRC states that if 'ordering goods from abroad, or buying and sending to the UK goods from abroad for personal use, you may have to pay Customs Duty, Excise Duty or import VAT.' However, there is no mention of having to pay any duty on items you purchase abroad and hold in your personal luggage. My friend from work bought a camera from the US and paid nothing extra than the retail price from the US.

I am fairly certain I read there was nothing to pay for goods you carry in your luggage.

It may be a problem having to send it back to the US if there are problems, but I would hope there wont be.