Thread: Is POTW Dead?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-12, 13:43
Super Moderator

OK I guess I need to reply to this... There is a reason that I have not replied to this yet is that I wanted to see what the consensus was from the active members. I have no idea about how easy or otherwise adding a voting button to the gallery would be or how easy it would be to stop members voting for multiple photos (which in my opinion would make the system less effective) this is something that the tech folk are looking at. The way that I set up recently to try and get POTW going again was never the smoothest but I don't see that sending an email was the hardest of processes. To be honest with everyone on the first week of that we got the most votes and that was less than ten people, within two weeks it was down to six and soon after just a couple a week so clearly it didn't work. I think the system of a rota of members selecting POTW would be the most workable system so long as one person is willing to take on organising this. I am happy to be involved either by being included on the rota or being left in reserve to make a section if for any reason the person who shoud be doing it cannot.

As for the theory that the site needs more activity from the mods to get it going I would firmly disagree. The only way that forums stay active is through the membership, I join in and offer help where I can but I do not have the answers to many questions that are asked. As for me only popping on from time to time there are plenty of reasons for this (I on here everyday checking the site but don't always have anything to add so don't always post) which I am not going to go into right now.

For me POTW has always been a bit of an issue, as previous systems have been quite time consuming. I think if the members want to increase activity on here the way to do it is to post threads that lead to discussion. I would love to see more honest critique in the gallery, I woud definitely post more I there if I received feedback on what I was doing wrong. I also think that the lack of activity in the equipment section is amazing, on most such sites this is the most active section. I'd love to see some reviews of gear going up and some discussions about which lens/camera is best for a certain job. I'd even quite like to see the odd Canon vs Nikon debate as they are usually quite good fun. Perhaps we should look to set up some threads about specific areas of photography where members can ask advice?