View Single Post
Old 21-12-05, 09:30

I like those shots, PCV. A little different. But I think of them sort of the way I used to think of my leg-spinner back when I used to play cricket: a good wicket-taking ball, but only if I just slipped one or at most two leggies into an over of my usual off-spin. It's the same with blurred movement in a bird picture: once in a while, a blurred head as (e.g.) a small bird shakes the water off after bathing can look great, but only in the context of a majority of conventional "clear and sharp" shots.

I've had a bit more of a play with the 60mm just now in the evening after work, and I'm starting to feel sorry that I didn't already order the flash unit. Fished an old spare tripod out of the junk room a little earlier (a small one, not to be compared to the big Manfrotto I use for digiscoping) and discovered that it has a weird clip-on mounting arrangement with no screw socket. Most likely a part is missing, in which case my chances of finding it in this madhouse are not good! I could just buy another tripod before Christmas, but I usually find that purchases made in a hurry from whatever limited selection happens to be in stock at the local shops on the day are soon regreted.

Well, this is Australia and it's December, so it shouldn't be too hard to find plenty of really bright light to work with until I get the flash and a tripod. Oh, and I guess I'll need a cable release.

Meanwhile, I'll treat the next few weeks as a chance to develop some skills with the equipment I have. Any other tips to getting good macro results hand-held with natural light?