View Single Post
Old 25-05-06, 08:31

Default Depth of Field Mode

I have encountered two types of depth of field mode on Canon Cameras which operate as follows:-

Type 1. (Found on EOS 30)
1. Place the focus point over the nearest part of the subject to be in focus then press the shutter release half way.
2. Repeat step one with the focus point placed over the farthest point to be in focus.
3. Compose the picture and press the shutter release all the way to take the picture. Job done.

Type 2. (Found on 20D)
1. Set the camera to DOF mode (all nine focus points are active.)
2. Compose the picture so that one focus point is over the nearest point you want in focus and one point is over the most distant point you want in focus.
3. Press the shutter release half way and those focus points which flash are in focus. If you are lucky, or skillful, the two important ones will be amongst those which flash
4. Press the shutter release all the way to take the picture.

I very much prefer type one, it is much quicker and less restrictive, so I cannot understand why Canon have gone for type 2 on the 20D. What do other members think?

It may be that I am not using type 2 correctly and if so, I should be grateful if someone would point me in the right direction.

John

Last edited by John; 25-05-06 at 09:07.