View Single Post
Old 25-03-07, 08:58

Hi mcliu. I see nothing wrong with removing clutter - it's not always easy to get the shot (particularly branches when taking birds, but also objects like cars in landscapes) without such distractions. However, I do not think that it is acceptable to add something to the image that was not there in the first place. An example would be taking a sunset from one image and adding it to another and then presenting the altered image as an original capture.

In asking where does skill end and technology begin, I was trying to make the point that a photographer may claim not to use technology, but would still rely on auto focus, exposure and white balance, which is quite a lot of technology. Add in filters, and the technology is getting quite serious (it would be no argument that filters have been around a long time - they still use technology).

I agree with all that you say about photographers manipulating images and would even take it one step further: the skill of modern photographers can also include use of digital manipulation. In the end, it all depends on what gives the individual photographer pleasure.

Personally, I am such a poor photographer that I'll use anything that I can (apart from adding) to get an image that pleases me. It's up to others to determine what they use and do.