View Single Post
Old 01-02-07, 23:01
Chris

Default Digital Photo Professional (Canon)

I am so impressed, I hope I can route existing and experienced users out of their hides and add a bit as I learn.

1: download Version 2.2 from Canon downloads site for your part of the world if the version bundled with your camera is an older one. Free

2: I see no problem over creating storage & back-up problems. If you shoot jpg and then also save an edited version, you can end up with bigger combined file size than the .CR2 file including saved 'recipe' or settings used during the edit. Say 7MB for the latter on 350D as opposed to original 3.3MB jpg and PS edited file same size or bigger. No need to keep ginormous .psd files for boss-shots where you daren't lose what you have already spent 1/2 hour doing, yet hope to do better.

3: there will be exceptions eg where a minor adjustment of horizontal is needed or something else that cannot be done within DPP, even that I think I would do on the final edition just before posting or whatever as it takes seconds and no sweat doing again later. What else useful can't it do, folks?

4: it strikes me that actually very little editing is needed and any regular edits can either be saved for batch operations or fed back into the camera 'parameters'. Editing takes seconds for each operation as the interface is so visual/intuitive, reset instant for each sub-section and before/after display available parallel.

NB I am using a mac and have a prog called GraphicConverter which I use for downloading from camera, all filing & slideshows; it is also fine for horizontal adjustment etc; I think there are PC equivalents to avoid using Ghastlies like Adobe Bridge or Canon Image Browser. Once in a folder, DPP has folder sorting+access and thumbnail displays (nice with basic f & shutter speed so you don't need to grub around in exif to know why/how you did 2 or 3 takes).