View Single Post
Old 05-03-07, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
Have you tried the same setup without your improvements to make a direct image comparison ?

Rob I did suspect something like this after my clocking exercise, but when you see it in the flesh so as to speak its quite a shock.

The light was getting a bit poor and it was spitting with rain so this is not in the same conditions and I will wait for a decent day before I do a side by side. So this is a taster of the result I expect.

Ignore the red colour showing through the bar code label, its the red electrical tape sticking it in position showing through.

As before there is a full frame, crop 1, a more severe crop in crop 2, a 100% crop where the bounce really shows, and a side by side with the earlier test.

Whether lens vibration is a contributory factor to the general softness seen here is anybodys guess but the Slik tripod with 501 head is quite a heavy beast. The size of the lens footprint on the rubber of the sliding foot is I feel the major factor. When clocking it, I found that you cannot significantly reduce deflection no matter how tight you turn the locking screw. Hence I decided on increasing that footprint with the sub base.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Test 2 full frame.jpg (123.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Test 2 crop 1.jpg (124.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Test 2 crop 2.jpg (141.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Test 2 at 100 percent.jpg (109.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Test1 & 2 combined.jpg (140.0 KB, 5 views)