Thread: Do you sharpen?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-06, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Despite all sorts of sharpening software on my pc, I still end up using Photoshop USM. My prints tend to look the same no matter if it's sharpened with the latest trendy software or good old fashioned USM.

After I downsize for the web, I'll often use smart sharpen in Photoshop.

I may tweak a few bits on an image (catchlight in eye) with the sharpen tool set at around 10-20%

I find I'm using far less sharpening these days compared with a couple of years ago, some shots barely need any at all.
And this is really why I posed the question to begin with. I really do feel that there has rarely been a need for me to use any sharpening recently, maybe even for as much as a year. I remember when I first had the 10D I would sharpen as a matter of course, I just felt those files needed it. I suppose I used jpeg most of the time then and was just beginning to use Raw for important stuff. I always had in camera sharpening set to factory default however so perhaps jpegs needed that extra bit of usmin Photoshop.

Now of course for the last couple of years at least I have used Raw soley and in camera sharpening has no effect anyway, though the default sharpening in CS2 and ACR must I suppose have a bearing on it. I have for the last year also been using a laptop as my main machine, it has a super 17" widescreen and I think it does naturally make the images appear sharper than on a CRT monitor.

Then there is this new 1D I'm using, I'm not sure if it has definately had an effect on the sharpness of my images, but undoubtedly the 1.3 crop will make some difference. The fact is I rarely need to sharpen at all anymore, except perhaps occasonally the bicubic sharper setting in Save for Web, but for prints they are tack sharp.

How often do you see oversharpened pictures and the halo effect seen along areas of high contrast like skylines etc. Its a common sight it seems to me even amongst the images of some pro shooters. When I've needed to I've found that some careful use of the Smart Sharpen tool can avoid this, I have to say however I have really not seen much advantage in this lab method some use, especially when I see halos in their shots too. I can understand the principle behind it, though little evidence it is better than other methods.