View Single Post
Old 18-02-06, 20:34

Default In camera processing RAW v JPG comparison

As part of my investigation into missing EXIF information I have been processing images using Nikon Capture, Paint Shop Pro versions 7 & 8. I have been using PSP7 a lot as I am familiar with it. On a couple of occasions I have used PSP8 having needed to do a straighten operation.

I have discovered that any image I do a ' save ' or ' save as ' in PSP7 looses the EXIF. I am going to upload a test image from today to my gallery, that has been cropped and saved in PSP8 to see how much of the EXIF has survived. Nikon Capture suggests some may have gone.

As an aside to that little exercise I thought I would compare how the camera, Nikon D100 processes JPG Fine in comparison with RAW.

On the market today I bought and old mic for a couple of quid ( £'s ). As it has an engraved scale I thought it would make a suitable subject for a sharpness check. After converting it into a fancy paperweight, the mic I use proved a better bet for the comarison, so the attached image is a composite of a RAW converted to JPG and a straight JPG. Apart from cropping NO changes have been made, to give a realistic comparison. A full frame image is also attached.

In the case of the D100 Raw converted to JPG proves to be significantly sharper than JPG fine.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAW & JPG comparison.jpg (111.2 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Mitutoyo full frame.jpg (43.9 KB, 48 views)