View Single Post
Old 22-04-06, 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Some people say that the focal length of the lens in use effects perspective. Others say 'not so,' it's the subject distance only that determines perspective. What do members think about this?
There is an interesting article HERE
about photographic perspective. I don't think you can argue with the logic or the maths that it is Distance to subject only.

However as photographers we know that there is the right lens/focal length for the job. If you are a portrait photographer for example, you wouldn't use say a 35mm lens and simply get closer to fill the frame with your subject. No, I would hope you would use a much longer focal length 100mm plus and move further back in order to fill the frame.

Why is this? To my mind it is because the longer lens alters the whole dynamics of the image to the viewer. Although it may show the same area of the subject, the viewers eye sees the subject somewhat differently and generally in a more pleasing and flattering fashion. Not only this but the area behind the subject is different too. If you want to photograph a subject and crop out as much of the background as you can then I would use a long lens, whereas if I wanted to photograph the subject with a building behind I would bring the subject closer to the camera and use a wider lens. Simple photo technique that any photographer knows but the typical Japanese tourist doesn't seem to grasp