View Single Post
Old 13-04-11, 11:30

Default Which Canon Model

Firstly, many thanks to all who helped with advice on lenses! It was much appreciated.

I eventually decided on a 15-55 f2.8 IS USM and a 70 – 200 f4L IS USM. I agonized about the new 70 – 200 f2.8L II IS USM, it gets great write ups but I really couldn’t justify almost twice the price and twice the weight for a one stop advantage. I take most of my photographs when travelling, so weight is an issue and when I tried the 2.8 on a camera it just felt all wrong, whereas the lighter f4 felt fine, a personal thing, but still important.

So decisions were made, or so I thought, until I saw a catalogue for the 60D. The main differences that I can see between it and the 7D are the twin processors on the 7D (which allows 8 frames per second) and the 100% coverage of the viewfinder.

The 60D has a moveable screen whilst the screen on the 7D is fixed. I have never been a fan of using a screen, but my Sony has a screen with limited movement and that has allowed me to take some photographs which I couldn’t have taken with a 7D; camera held high above the head for example.

The 60D is also about two thirds the cost of the 7D.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or any experience with both cameras?