View Single Post
Old 19-03-07, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anja59 View Post
Hi Forum,

I have a (silly?) question: about two month ago, I bought the Canon Eos XTi with a Sigma 70-300APO DG Marco lens. So far I'm quite happy with this equpment. But now I want to go to an National Park (Banff) and I'd like to capture some animals (if possible moose, chipmunks, maybe bears...). The Sigma lens is really good to take pictures of squirrels from a distance of about 10-15 meters, but I don't really want to come that close to a bear or moose...

I looked around a little bit at ebay, and they sell 650-1300mm lenses for 230US$. This seems a little bit too cheap. Does anybody have experience with such a lens or could recommend a lens, that won't cost more than 500US$?

I also saw some teleconverters (2x, would mean 600mm * factor 1.6), how good are they?

Thanks for your answers,

Anja

I wouldn't touch the 650-1300mm with a bargepole, that's probably the quality you'd get from it (bargepole), look around for a used Tokina ATX 400 f5.6 SD, (640mm on a Canon) excellent lens with good contrast and definition. You could add a 1.4 converter, that would give you a 896mm lens at f8 constant aperture. I've used this combination on both film and digital, gives very useable results on both!! Don't go for the Sigma 400 f5.6 or 1.4 converter, they dont work very well on Canon or Nikon digital cameras, the Kenco 1.4 converter is the one to go for.

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 19-03-07 at 01:53.