View Single Post
Old 21-07-08, 18:31
Chris

screen shot shows part of choir of Tewkesbury Abbey (about 1/4 of total image) with stained glass windows end and right with bright sun full on. Anti-clock (1) top left has been corrected in NX1.3 for overall presentation of interior, but leaving windows at back & right 'blown'.
At this point I duplicated the .nef.

Bottom left (2) is attempt to compensate glass in NX 1.3 using my normal type of brush selection for the windows, ie big brush selecting window area, small brush correcting edges and removing selection from main mullions etc.

Bottom right (3) is 1st attempt in NX2. Using selection control point (SCP) 'neat' ie unmodified by other masks. I don't think the effect on the windows is any better, but, worse it has also bled out onto the surrounding masonry. This is where I took serious note of Don's comments, reread, damn it, even printed a few pages of the manual and embarked on SCP+ 'paint and fill' Mask. That is limiting the effect of the SCP to the glass only using brushes to remove its effect from surrounding masonry.

Once mask is in place, one can monkey around with adjustments ad lib. I started with Colorize, ie applying the light ochre showing towards top right of the panel as a wash. Then a play in my favourite playpen, LCH upping the chroma etc. Finally using 'Colour balance' to correlate to window on left which is out of sun and un-modified. Then a re-run on the right hand (south) window starting with same settings as east, then adjusting them. Dare say there is a more scientific approach, but the ability to tweak intuitively and indefinitely is the strength of NX for me.

That then completely removes the blown bits, reintroduces a reasonable replication of the glass tones and with correct gradation from no sun to full sun left-to-right. It prints without any sign of meddling. The mullion and tracery detail is rather washed out in places, but then I am sure it would have been in real life and pic would have been suspicious if 'perfected'.

Full pic as 2nd frame. (1/2 sec f10 18-135 kit lens at fl40) In the basic editing I have removed the barrel distortion but not attempted unskewing as the view is necessarily slanted upwards over the rood screen and to include the organ and rich ceiling and bracket decoration.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...attach/jpg.gif
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...attach/jpg.gif