View Single Post
Old 13-06-07, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
True but I still don't like deliberately killing just for my pleasure. As all wildlife is red in tooth and claw Leif's argument means it is for us to be judge and jury over what it is OK to deliberately kill so how about some birds or start some egg collecting and I'll decide what is OK - if its pretty I might let it live. Oh I am a stirrer aren't I? But it is interesting. However I'm not going to fall out with anyone.
No, you are going to an extreme, and misrepresenting my viewpoint. I suggest you take a read of the BF thread, and Intermos's posting. He makes some good points.

When I was young it was not uncommon to take birds eggs to blow, and collect. Today that is considered wrong, chiefly I presume because it would seriously threaten the survival of many species. However, people do go out and kill certain birds and catch certain fish for pleasure, and it does not threaten their survival. I do not oppose that, though some people do.

Many people would argue that birds are sentient, and they can display a considerable degree of intelligence, especially some parrots. No doubt that can suffer. Whereas an insect is an altogether different creature, with little in the way of a brain, and displaying simple stereotypical behaviour.

However I find some viewpoints contradictory. Some people who condemn taking a few common beetles, or bagging a pheasant will happily eat a battery hen that was imported as raw meat from the Far East, where the animal was kept in the most appalling conditions. Or buy pigs kept in appalling conditions, and transported long distances over land in cramped lorries (though the UK now has stricter laws than most of Europe on such matters). Or go to a 'wildlife centre' and see an animal that displays signs of neurosis due to confinement in a small unnatural space. They will also board an aircraft for a flight during which the engines will hoover up millions of insects and incinerating them.

So it is right to splat millions of insects on windscreens, to incinerate them in jet engines, to slice them up in lawn mowers, to walk on them, to kill them when taking a bath with soap, but not to kill a few to take some photographs that demonstrate to others how beautiful they are? Obviously it is a matter of personal opinion, but I find that view hard to understand.

In my opinion it is a matter of perspective and proportion.

Personally I do not eat meat, and I hate zoos and circuses, apart from living displays of lower creatures such as insects, and reptiles. But I do not condemn those who scoff meat at every opportunity.